Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Overnight Success

Seriously?
No such thing.
At least not in my experience.

We did not get where we are today
in one day's time.
We have arrived where we are today,
through a series of choices
circumstances
events
relationships
experiences
and
efforts
or
a lack thereof.

There are no overnight successes
and
There are no overnight
failures.

I could stop there.
But that would be so unlike me.

Wherever you are today,
do not be discouraged
do not be too discouraged.

You are changing
You are becoming
You are growing

I am reminded of the leg cramps my son gets when he is in the middle of a growth spurt.

He cries in his sleep
and wakes with pains in his legs.
We wait out the cramps,
until he can drift off and rest again.
The next day, he wants me to measure him.
He wants to know the hurt he felt,
produced something.
He wants to know how much he grew
how he changed
what the discomfort was for.
He wonders if anything happened
if it made a difference
or if he freaked out, hurt and cried
for
nothing.
I can't say that has ever been a measurable change in his height
the morning after the growing pains.
But...
I know he is three inches taller this year,
than he was last year.
So I know (and he knows)
He has grown.

You are growing too.
You can grow.
You can continue to grow
every single day.

And
You can take a break from growing,
whenever you need to
or want to.

Take a look at yourself.
Really look at YOU.
are you growing?
or do you need a break?
Are you stressing about the results you aren't seeing?
Are you giving yourself credit for the aches and pains you are going through in the process?

Give yourself some credit, Woman!
Back off the self-criticism.
Release the loathing and disappointment you tighten your heart around when you are so hard on yourself.
Take a look at yourself
and enjoy who you are
and where you are.
Breathe in deep
and give yourself
a moment to feel pleased with yourself.

And if you are close to giving up,
if you are standing still
if you are feeling stuck
if failure and hopelessness are whispering in your ear,
remember...
remember Who You Want to Be
and give yourself a pep-talk
or a kick in the _ _ _  (substitute your word here).
give yourself a do-over

and

QUIT:
blaming others
making excuses
forgetting yourself
teaching others to devalue you
thinking it can't be done
eating without hunger
stopping too soon
claiming you are working harder than you are
schlumping around looking half-dead
ignoring your needs
settling for blah rather than LIFE.

and get a good night of sleep tonight
you might be lucky enough to dream of shin splints
just to let you know
there really are changes happening in you
under your skin
in your heart
on your body.
Slowly, but surely, you are changing.

You are a success.

It just doesn't happen all at one time.

That's all.
Be Your Best,
Becky

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Becky - I needed that. I was getting a little discouraged by my SLOW weightloss journey, and I let my discouragement cause me to let up, and in doing so, I lost some of the gound I had gained. Last week I decided to get back to work with zeal. As my trainer told me last Tuesday - "It doesn't matter what you did yesterday - what matters is what you do today and tomorrow". In just one week I have taken back the ground I lost AND THEN SOME!! As of this morning, I am 17 pounds lighter than I was on Nov. 1, and I have lost 6 inches (2 in each of the three major spots). I love you to the moon and back and can't begin to tell you how much you inspire me! WOW - I just had a pang of missing your Mom and thought of how proud she would be of you!!

    Many blessings,
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honestly feeling like life is slipping by a bit, and I'm not taking time for me... TOTALLY struggling with that feeling guilty for wanting "me" time, deal... sigh...

    as a result, I've gained... sigh. Even WITH great hair and a man who is CRAZY in love with me, and a wonderful future... I'm still EATING. More importantly, I've not worked out in three weeks, and it's SO BAD for my psyche... weather, work, other people asking me for parts of me and me feeling like I "should"...

    ReplyDelete