Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday Review and Some Pound-Dropping Thoughts

Some Tweets from this Week:

* When you're sick, turn off your phone, shut down your computer, cease Tweeting & get some rest---like I'm about to do today!

* It's always best to start the day with a plan for what you are DOING and what you'll be EATING. Plan for one meal you'll really like!

* Confession: I keep a box of Slim Fast bars in my pantry at all times. When I am feeling REALLY indecisive or clueless abt what to eat for lunch, I grab one.

* Go for ENJOYMENT with ONE of your meals EVERY day. PICK one meal a day to LOVE. Like (or just accept) the other TWO, but LOVE one!

* Step on the scale EVERY morning, but don't obsess abt the weight! Stay connected to the FACTS (your weight), but FOCUS on where you're GOING

* Seriously People, STAY out of the kitchen, once you've finished your dinner. There's nothing new in there & you really aren't hungry (you're bored)! Go DANCE!

Ok Folks, here I am going to give a shout out, and plug a book I used when I first started changing my eating patterns, portions and choices....I CANNOT RECOMMEND ANOTHER BOOK WITH MORE PERSONAL CONVICTION:

EAT THIS, NOT THAT 
By David Zinczenko
There are now SEVERAL books in this series, which highlight very simple changes to make in your grocery shopping patterns and dining-out choices. I also use the "Eat This, Not That, For Kids." I love ALL these books, and attribute probably 15lbs of weight lost just due to reading and trying the things suggested by the author. I keep the Eat This, Not That website, bookmarked and check it out ALL the time! You should too!


Additional Thoughts:
How is it going? Have you been keeping a journal? Are you a reader of the Blog, or a Doer? Is anything happening or changing in you? Are you looking for results? Are you getting any? Are you asking yourself "Why haven't I dropped any weight?"

Here are my thoughts. Not judgement. Thoughts:
You are in control of yourself. You really, really are. I have said this before and will repeat it a ton of times more in this blog (and to myself ALL day). You are where you are, at this very moment because of the decisions you have made leading up to this moment (or, You are where you are based on the decisions you have made in regard to the things that have happened TO, you leading up to this moment. Both statements are true).

IF you want change in your life...
IF you want TO change...
YOU have to change.
Sounds simple.
Simple, but not easy.
Simple, not easy, but TRUE.

A blog will not change you. Reading a blog will not change you. YOU have to change. Applying what is in a blog, doing the exercises recommended in a blog, keeping up with and staying current with a blog...will NOT change you.....but, it can, it will HELP you focus and concentrate YOUR efforts to Change.

You will change, when you REALLY want to change.
ONLY when you really want to.
ONLY when you are desperate enough or committed enough,
to STOP eating
and start FEEDING yourself.

If you are a Reader and not a Doer (yet), you are PREPARING to change.
You are CONSIDERING change.
You are INTERESTED in change.
You are seeking INSPIRATION or MOTIVATION to change,
but you are not ready to Change (yet).
And there is nothing wrong with that.
I simply do not want you confused about the results you are (or aren't getting)
or the changes you aren't (or are) seeing.

This is still your life. It is still, all about you. There will come a day (if it hasn't already)--there WILL come a day (hopefully), when you STICK your COURAGE and WANTS and DESIRES and DECISIONS into the GROUND (like Neil Armstrong sticking the flag on the moon), and state, "This is it. This is my giant step. This is the day I declare my new life. My changed life. There is no turning back from this moment. It all changes TODAY. NOW." Then, and only then, will you DO what it takes to change. To become. To decide. To connect with the REAL you and move yourself forward.

This is NOT about WILL power.
(To me, doing something out of sheer Will Power, is a FORCING of ourselves to go AGAINST what we want. A MAKING ourselves do something opposed or contrary to our desires. That is my take on Will Power. That is why I think people claim to not have the will power to keep with a diet, or attribute my 100lb loss to my strong will-power. Both are statements spoken from people who think they, themselves CANNOT change or lose weight--and their alibi, their excuse is that they lack or have NO will power--as though it is a talent, or gifting or character trait they were born without. I disagree with their conclusions.)

Perhaps it is just a case of word-choice,
but I believe CHANGE is about:

Decision
and
Determination
and our
Ultimate Desires...

...and really, truly being sick and tired of your life,
to the point that your
empty
hopeless
helpless
drained
depressed
existence
no longer satisfies.

Did you hear that?

We are SATISFIED with the
empty, hopeless, helpless, drained and depressed
lives we lead.
On some level, at least.

And until we become
frustrated enough,
desperate enough
maybe even ANGRY enough,
we won't REALLY change.

I mean, why would we?
Change means discomfort
Change means taking an honest look at ourselves
and owning up to Who We Really Are
and all the choices we have made leading up to Right Now.
Change is scary.
Change opens us up to our Fear of the Unknown
What will happen IF I change?
What will happen with my relationships if I change?
What will happen if I change and don't like HOW I change?
Who am I going to be, if I change?
Who is going to be there for me, if I change?
If I change, what else in my life has to change to SUPPORT the changes I've made?
How do I know I can stay changed?
What if I change and it still doesn't help?
What if....?

When you are ready,
When you have had enough,
When the empty, hopeless, helpless, drained and depressed
existence you lead, no longer satisfies,
YOU WILL WANT CHANGE and you WILL CHANGE.

And when you WANT change,
really and truly want change,
Want TO change,
You WILL.

And it will not be about forcing yourself to go against your desires.
Your DESIRES will match up with your determination and decisions.
You will find yourself WANTING, NOT DENYING.
You will discover how deeply you desire The Changing,
and the conflict between what you eat (or don't)
how much of it you eat (or don't)
when you eat (or don't)
when you move, or dance or run (or don't)
will become a lot less complicated and excruciating and
much less of a battle.
It will be easier to change BECAUSE of your ULTIMATE DESIRE TO CHANGE.
It will no longer be a forceful attempt to do something in OPPOSITION to your Want.
IT WILL BE WHAT YOU WANT, MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Until then, keep reading. Keeping thinking. Keep pondering.
And open up.
Try to open up.

Change is out there,
Waiting for you.
Ready for you.
You will Change, even if you haven't started, yet.
(and you get as many do-overs as you want!)

That's all.
Be Your Best,
Becky


4 comments:

  1. I'm a reader and a doer...

    Today I restarted a couple of things and FORCED myself to go walk/run around the 5K track because I didn't feel like doing it. I made a conscious decision and it was HARD. But I feel so much better mentally and physically!

    Here's a question for you: When did you know enough weightloss was enough? I've already lost 20 lbs. prior to becoming a doer here, and though my attitude and mind is changing by being here, my body isn't. I'm doing most things right and I'm maintaining, but I still want to lose!

    I guess if people saw me they might think I don't have to lose any more weight, but I want to change my body so I've been changing my exercise routine and doing things I've never done before (like running) because I hated it and it was too hard and boring and time consuming. But I'm doing it because I DON'T want to stay the same way (inside and out) and by choosing to do something I hate to do I'm hoping to become someone I want to be, then it's worth it! BUT no results yet! That I can visibly see anyway.

    Back to my question: When did you know 100 lbs was enough? Or is it? Your goal was 80. What made you keep going to 90, 95, 100 and are you DONE? Just curious and thought maybe others might be also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina,
    GREAT questions...Will be preparing a response as part of my post on Friday! I'll toss in a few tips for those last ten pounds too, that don't want to budge....Truly, the last SIX pounds are the hardest to lose--and easiest to put back on! Hang in there, Gina--you are doing a great job!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the last darn SEVEN! for the last month it's been seven. I know my problem - after hours eating - because I run with my group from 6-7pm... I either skip dinner or snack on cheese and crackers - NOT.MY.FRIEND...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm truly not sure WHAT my last 5-10 pounds are. At my lowest I was 12 lbs. lighter than I am now, but I didn't maintain it long because I got pregnant soooo, I'm not sure how low I can go. Honestly, my goal is just to wear a swim suit by summer and not feel I have to hide my thighs!! Can it be done? I don't know, but I'm going to try!

    ReplyDelete